How do I keep one cell constant in a formula even when copying

  1. #1
    excel rookie
    Guest

    How do I keep one cell constant in a formula even when copying

    I'm doing a spreadsheet that refers back to a specific cell. My problem is
    that when I copy the original formula it moves away from that specific cell.
    I need to create a formula that will keep a specific cell in place and allow
    the rest of the formula change as I copy it elsewhere.

  2. #2
    Abhishek kedia
    Guest

    RE: How do I keep one cell constant in a formula even when copying

    Hi!!
    excel rookie

    How r u
    Friend, its quite easy

    just prefix $ sign at the row or colum number which u want to fix
    eg

    u hv enterd farmulae in column A1 as

    =(B1+C1)
    if u want to fix B1 just freeze it as

    $B$1
    its quit simple

    Abhishek kedia

  3. #3
    MartinW
    Guest

    Re: How do I keep one cell constant in a formula even when copying

    Hi Rookie,

    Just use the $ sign in your formula

    $A1 - holds A and allows 1 to change
    A$1 - holds 1 and allows A to change
    $A$1 - holds both

  4. #4
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: How do I keep one cell constant in a formula even when copying

    Another note, type =A1 in a cell, then click in the formula bar and hit F4
    four times and notice how ther references change.

    Howard

    news:[email protected]...