Microsft Query: Excel, date parameter cell doesn't work.

  1. #1
    Ronco
    Guest

    Microsft Query: Excel, date parameter cell doesn't work.

    For importing external data into Excel, I use Microsoft Query. If I use
    parameter >=#7/28/2005# in the query itself, it works, but it doesn't work
    if, in Excel, I want to "Get the value from the following cell" or "Use the
    following value".

  2. #2
    Dominic
    Guest

    RE: Microsft Query: Excel, date parameter cell doesn't work.

    Ronco,

    What happens when you use Get value from the following cell?

    What value is the cell you are using? What is the format of the cell? Date?

    I have no problems using a date field in a parameter MS Query. Although I
    have to use a specific format because the data I am querying uses a
    proprietary date format.

  3. #3
    Ronco
    Guest

    RE: Microsft Query: Excel, date parameter cell doesn't work.

    Dominic, when I use the Get value from the following cell, an error msg box
    "Bad parameter type. Microsoft Office Excel is expecting a different kind of
    value than what was provided." comes up.

    The cell format is Date 3/14/01. When I use a cell value of 7/28/05, it
    works, but the value >=7/28/05 doesn't. The ">=" part is what Excel doesn't
    like. I've tried every variation I can think of: >=#7/28/05#, >='7/28/05',
    etc., but I still can't get it to work. I have to edit the query each time I
    want to change the date.

  4. #4
    Dominic
    Guest

    RE: Microsft Query: Excel, date parameter cell doesn't work.

    Ronco, you should leave 7/28/05 in the cell.

    The >= goes in the Query Design grid in MS Query.

    For example:

    >=[Parameter Name]

    instead of just

    [Parameter Name]

    Does that help?

  5. #5
    Ronco
    Guest

    RE: Microsft Query: Excel, date parameter cell doesn't work.

    Thanks, Dominic, it worked. That was so simple I'm embarrassed. It's the
    input I needed for other queries as well. Thanks again.

  6. #6
    Dominic
    Guest

    RE: Microsft Query: Excel, date parameter cell doesn't work.

    You're welcome. Glad I could help.