Filter based on combination of columns

  1. #1

    Filter based on combination of columns

    I would like to see the unique values from column A, where Column B is
    a max() for that value in A. For example, in Column A there are
    several 1's, I would like to see the max of column B, where column A is

    a 1, and the same thing repeated for all the other unique values in
    column A.

    INPUT:

    A B
    1 07/22/05
    1 08/26/05
    1 10/11/05
    2 11/04/05
    2 01/04/06
    2 07/22/05
    3 08/26/05
    4 10/11/05
    4 11/04/05

    The output I'm looking for would look like this:

    A B
    1 10/11/05
    2 01/04/06
    3 08/26/05
    4 11/04/05

  2. #2

    Re: Filter based on combination of columns

    Sounds like a nice reason to learn about pivottables.

    Select your range (Include one row of headers)
    Data|Pivottable
    follow the wizard until you get to the step with a Layout button.
    Click that button
    Drag the header for column A to the row field
    drag the date header button to the data field
    double click on that button and choose Max

    And finish up the wizard.

    If you want to read more about pivottables...

    Here are a few links:

    Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
    And Debra's own site:

    John Walkenbach also has some at:
    http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
    (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

    Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

    MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
    http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
    http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx