Started out as an Access problem. Now an Excel problem

  1. #1
    RobertM
    Guest

    Started out as an Access problem. Now an Excel problem

    Hello:

    The problem that I'm having is that when I import data into an Access table
    from Excel some of the values are converted to scientific format. Below is
    the text from an Access discussion board on this. I've tried converting the
    data to text, but it still goes scientific on me. I'm dealing with 1000's of
    rows of data here so my going in and placing a comma before each record isn't
    feasible unless someone can tell me a shortcut way to do this.

    Any help is appreciated!

    Thank you

    You need to format the cells (in Excel) as text and make sure that Excel
    does not automatically change the format to scientific when the data is
    entered (as Excel does, and you can't turn this feature off!!!)

    If you have problems with this, it may be better to post in an Excel group.

    MH

    news:[email protected]...

  2. #2
    Dominic
    Guest

    RE: Started out as an Access problem. Now an Excel problem

    Hi Robert,

    If placing a comma before the cell data would do it, how about using a
    helper column with the formula : = "," & A1

    Where your data is in column A

    Copy that formula down for all of your rows.

    Would that work?

  3. #3
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Started out as an Access problem. Now an Excel problem

    After you import to Excel and find scientific notation, re-format those
    cells to present the information in your desired number format.