can Excel help to "count" votes...?

  1. #1
    RedBeer
    Guest

    can Excel help to "count" votes...?

    Hello,

    I have a fairly limited knowledge of Excel, but I'm wondering if someone can
    help me use it for a somewhat novel task.

    I have a website where I've demo'd some graphic art pieces and have asked
    viewers to vote for their favorite 5 out of 26 pieces. I got 25 votes, so
    I've got 5x 25 results, which I've entered in columns labeled "1st place,
    2nd place... " etc.

    I'm wondering if Excel can help me "choose" the most popular art pieces
    somehow; or else generate an out put of an ascending or descending
    "popularity" scale; somehow mathematically quantifying the choices. ie,
    "1st place" column entries could be "multiplied" by say a factor of 10, 2nd
    place enties "multiplied" by 8, etc.

    Only trouble is, working with math you'd end up with fractional results,
    whereas only the whole, original and absolute values of the integers
    representing the art pieces would have any value.

    For instance, if piece #7 appears in the 1st place column 3 times, and in
    the 3rd place column 2 times, it gets a score of 70+18, for an overall
    "rating" of 88.

    Perhaps the whole thing is more like evaluating a "matrix" which gets pretty
    tricky and takes me into math that I haven't comprehended since high school!

    thanks for any pointers
    (or relevant humor)

    RD

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: can Excel help to "count" votes...?

    I have posted an example solution at http://cjoint.com/?ezkgNtPhYY

    Bob Phillips

  3. #3
    RedBeer
    Guest

    Re: can Excel help to "count" votes...?

    Hi Bob,

    Thanks so much for the work and thought you put into this - I'm impressed!

    The matrix I created is a little different: the 5 columns represent 1st thru
    5th place in the voting score and the rows represent the votes cast by
    different individuals.

    Example:

    Voter 1st place 2nd place 3rd place 4th place 5th place

    joe 12 25 11 21
    23
    bill 13 24 1 26
    14
    jan 2 17 12 4
    10

    .... etc for 25 voters. Numbers represent the numerical "labels" ID'ing the
    pictures.

    Is there any way I could use your forumlas for my matrix, or would I have to
    recreate a new matrix
    with your parameters?

    Also, if I do re-enter the matrix, I notice that all your "scores" come out
    as "zero" ...
    Are the formulas not supposed to return actual numeric scores?

    Thanks again, your thoughts are appreciated...

    RD

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips

    Take a look at this revamped version http://cjoint.com/?eAlhxtIPeV

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: can Excel help to "count" votes...?

    BTW, the zeroes are because it is an array formula, so when you do it, or
    re-do it, you need to commit it with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not just Enter.

  6. #6
    RedBeer
    Guest

    Re: can Excel help to "count" votes...?

    Hi Bob,

    Thanks once again for your knowledge and insight.
    I'll try re-configuring my matrix according to your plan and test it out.
    Hopefully, OpenOffice.org's spreadsheet capabilities will support the same
    functions as Ms Excel ...

    RD

    news:%[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: can Excel help to "count" votes...?

    Afraid I can't help you there, never use it.