using cells to define sheet references

  1. #1

    Question using cells to define sheet references

    I need to dynamically reference sheets in excel and am having a hard time doing it.

    The most eligant solution i have is to use a prefab'd row to define my sheets.

    Here's what I mean:
    A1 = "Item 1"
    B1 = "Item 2" where "Item 1" and "Item 2" exactly match the names of other sheets in my file.

    I'd like to do something like
    A2 = A1!B3
    B2 = B1!B3

    This way I can simply copy row two accross all the columns to extract the data from various sheets and include them on a single page.

    But I can't find the proper equation to make Excel recognize the contents of row 1 as the actual sheet names.

    Please help, this is driving me mad!!!

  2. #2
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: using cells to define sheet references

    The INDIRECT function is what you're looking for. Writing the formlua so
    that it will increment appropriately when copied, is a bit more tricky.
    Something like this might work for you:

    =INDIRECT($A1&"!"&ADDRESS(ROW(B$3),COLUMN(B$3)))

    HTH,
    Elkar