conditional formatting

  1. #1
    EJK
    Guest

    conditional formatting

    I have a large spreadsheet used for attendance tracking at work. We have set
    up conditional formatting so that for Tardy (T), Unexcused Absence (U) and
    Unexcused Early Leave (UE), when the applicable letter is typed the cell it
    turns red. We also have a tally section at the end that keeps track of how
    many of these factors the individual employee has. I need to add other
    formats, but there is only room for 3 custom formats. Is there a way to set
    up other formulas that work in the same way where the cell changes color when
    the applicable letter is typed?

    If there is no way to do this, is there a way to nest some of them, such as
    the three I specifically mentioned? I have tried and while the tally works
    at the end of the spreadsheet, the cells do not change color. The color
    change makes for a quick visual picture of the office attendance as a whole,
    so it is really helpful.

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: conditional formatting

    Let's say you have Annual Leave (A), Compassionate Leave (C) and Time
    Off in Lieu (L), and want all these to be coloured blue. You need to
    highlight all the cells with codes in (assume starting from cell D6)
    and add this as a second condition - Format | Conditonal Formatting
    (this should show the first condition) then Add and choose Formula Is
    rather than Cell Contains and enter this formula:

    =OR(D6="A",D6="C",D6="L")

    then click on format and patterns tab then choose blue and OK your way
    out.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    EJK
    Guest

    Re: conditional formatting

    Pete:

    You are the best! I altered the formula to meet my criteria and voila!
    Thank you so much. I knew there was an answer out there.

    Have a wonderful day!

    ~ Evelyn

  4. #4
    Pete_UK