validation for phone number

  1. #1
    Candice
    Guest

    validation for phone number

    I want to limit the characters that the user can input in the phone number
    field. Should I use conditional formatting for that?
    Any help is appreciated,
    Thank you, Candice

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: validation for phone number

    When you say "limit the characters" do you mean you want to only allow
    telephone numbers, or only allow numbers?

    You can format the cell (on the menu, >Edit >Cells >Special >Telephone
    number) so Excel will display a string of 10 numbers in (###) ###-####
    format. Will that do it for you, or are you thinking of something more?

  3. #3
    Candice
    Guest

    Re: validation for phone number

    I want to limit the number of characters the user can imput: such as to
    prevent a user from inputting more then the 10 digit phone number.

  4. #4

    Re: validation for phone number

    Can you stop them after they hit enter? (They might have typed too many
    characters, but they'll get a warning.)

    If yes, then
    data|validation

    And tell excel that you'll accept whole numbers between 0 and 9999999999.

    Format the cell as a phone number to make it look pretty.