excel macro-close this document

  1. #1
    chartasap
    Guest

    excel macro-close this document

    hi,

    i've created several macros in ms excel. i have a template i use and then i
    run the macros. the first time i run the macros they work fine but the next
    time i try to run it again it is trying to access the macro from the first
    document created using that template. In other words, if the template is
    comparison.xlt and i open a workbook using this template it is labeled
    comparison1.xls. After i run the macro and close this document w/o saving the
    next time i run the macros it is looking for comparison1.xls otherwise it
    wont work. Why is it doing this if i created the macros for all open
    workbooks? can anyone help?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    re: excel macro-close this document

    If I understand you correctly, you should put your macros in your
    Personal.xls workbook. That workbook is always opened when Excel is opened
    and all the macros in it are available for your use on any open workbook.
    To find out if you have a Personal.xls workbook, click on Window -
    Unhide. If "Unhide" is not available or Personal.xls is not listed, then
    you need to create it. Do this to create it:
    Click on Tools - Macro - Record New Macro. Click OK when asked to name the
    new macro. A small Record Macro toolbar will appear. Click on the small
    dark square to close the toolbar. Now click on Window - Unhide and you will
    see the Personal.xls workbook. HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    re: excel macro-close this document

    You will see Personal.xls if you have chosen to store macros in "Personal Macro
    Workbook" at step 2 of "Record New Macro"

    i.e. When you hit Macro>Record New Macro a dialog box will open with a spot for
    the macroname and an option box "store macro in".

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP