[SOLVED] vlookup help

  1. #1
    scott
    Guest

    [SOLVED] vlookup help

    i would like to create one vlookup for a column of cells. is this possible? i
    tried by selecting the colum and entering the vlookup, but it only pertained
    to the first cell. i tried to enter the formalu, then copy and paste, but it
    returns a #REF!

    i would like to aviod entering a formula 1000 times.

    any ideas?
    thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Carbondale CO
    Could you post your formula. It probably holds the clue to why your getting a ref error.
    Casey

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: vlookup help

    I would avoid that if I were you, but if this is what you mean?

    =VLOOKUP(F2:F1001,A2:B50000,2,0)

    then you need to select 1000 cells, then enter the formula with ctrl + shift
    & enter

    it is better to use the first lookup value (in this case F2) then copy down
    1000 rows

    =VLOOKUP(F2:F6,$A$2:$B$50000,2,0)

    (note the absolute reference to the table)

    since you can change a single formula whereas if you use the array version
    you can't change only a part of it

    Peo Sjoblom

    http://nwexcelsolutions.com

    news:[email protected]...