Conditional Validation

  1. #1

    Conditional Validation

    Hi! I was wondering if there is a way to do conditional drop-down
    lists through validation. For example, in the first cell the user
    chooses the State (using a validation list to restrict the selections).
    Then in the next cell I want to use validation that presents a
    drop-down list of all the counties in the State instead of having to
    choose from all the counties in the US.

    Thanks,
    Matt

  2. #2
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Validation

    Try this:

    Debra Dalgleish's Contextures site has lots of useful examples

    Regards

    Trevor

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Puppet_Sock
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Validation

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hi! I was wondering if there is a way to do conditional drop-down
    > lists through validation. For example, in the first cell the user
    > chooses the State (using a validation list to restrict the selections).
    > Then in the next cell I want to use validation that presents a
    > drop-down list of all the counties in the State instead of having to
    > choose from all the counties in the US.

    Eventually, if you get enough of this sort of thing in an Excel
    workbook,
    you should think about switching over to a database. If it's only a
    few,
    sure, leave it as Excel. But if you start to find you have many, then
    there are constructs in Access, for example, that are designed to
    make such tasks easy.
    Socks

  4. #4

    Re: Conditional Validation

    Thanks - Got it to work using this example!

    huge help!!