vba error 6 overflow

  1. #1
    tinybears
    Guest

    vba error 6 overflow

    Hey,

    In my userform I calculate formulas that come into my Access database.
    These are doubles, so when I fill in 0 I get error 13 saying I can't
    fill that i because that will cause an overflow. When I try with with
    errormessages to get passed error 13 I get the overflow problem. My
    problem is that sometimes it should be possible to fill in 0 but that
    my formula then sets it's value tot 0 or something.

    Is there someone who could help me out with this?

    This is an example of a line with a formula:

    rs!Acid_test = (CDbl(TekstVla) - CDbl(TekstVVKT)) / CDbl(TekstVoor)

    So when I fill in 0 in the textbox on the userform for TekstVoor I got
    stuck.

    thx in advace

  2. #2

    Re: vba error 6 overflow

    I think I'd just check to make sure that the value in TekstVoor is non-zero.
    I'm not sure what should happen, but dividing by 0 is usually a bad idea.

    dim res as variant

    res = "Error!

    if isnumeric(tekstvla.value) _
    and isnumeric(tekstvvkt.value) _
    and isnumeric(tekstvoor.value) then
    if cdbl(ekstvoor.value) <> 0 then
    res = (CDbl(TekstVla.value) - CDbl(TekstVVKT.value)) _
    / CDbl(TekstVoor.value)
    end if
    end if

    worksheets("rs").range("Acid_test").value = res

  3. #3
    Puppet_Sock
    Guest

    Re: vba error 6 overflow

    tinybears wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > In my userform I calculate formulas that come into my Access database.
    > These are doubles, so when I fill in 0 I get error 13 saying I can't
    > fill that i because that will cause an overflow. When I try with with
    > errormessages to get passed error 13 I get the overflow problem. My
    > problem is that sometimes it should be possible to fill in 0 but that
    > my formula then sets it's value tot 0 or something.
    >
    > Is there someone who could help me out with this?
    >
    > This is an example of a line with a formula:
    >
    > rs!Acid_test = (CDbl(TekstVla) - CDbl(TekstVVKT)) / CDbl(TekstVoor)
    >
    > So when I fill in 0 in the textbox on the userform for TekstVoor I got
    > stuck.

    The problem is, there is no valid value for this to produce when
    TekstVoor is 0. You can't divide by 0. It's not defined. It's not
    even defined when the numerator is 0. Excel is doing the
    correct thing by giving you an error message.

    If you want to be able to handle user input of 0 for this variable,
    you need to put in a test for 0, and use a formula that does
    not divide by 0 to handle that case. Probably what you want
    is to check if abs(TekstVoor) is less than some value, say
    1E-10 or something, and if it is, then use a formula that does
    not have 1/TekstVoor in it.
    Socks

  4. #4
    tinybears
    Guest

    Re: vba error 6 overflow

    hey thx,

    I solved it something like this:

    If TekstVoor = 0 Then
    rs!Acid_test = 0
    TekstVoor = 0
    Else
    rs!Acid_test = (CDbl(TekstVla) - CDbl(TekstVVKT)) / CDbl(TekstVoor)
    End If

    greetz