sorting question

  1. #1

    sorting question

    Looks like my post from early didn't post correctly, so I'll try again.

    I have a spreadsheet that has 25 rows with 33 columns of data in each row. I want to be able to sort the rows by using data in 5 columns (not just 3 that the sort drop down box offers). Any ideas on how I can do this?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert mrice's Avatar
    Surrey, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013
    Posts
    4,967

    Response

    You can do this in two steps.

    Sort first on columns 4 & 5 in your hierarchy followed by a second sort for 1,2 & 3. Excel should not mix up the sort that you have already done (or at least that's what the help pages said)
    Martin

  3. #3
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: sorting question

    Try:

    If you're sorting five columns A,B,C,D,E

    sort the last three first, C,D,E and then sort A,B.

    HTH

  4. #4
    bigwheel
    Guest

    RE: sorting question

    If all your data is numeric, you could use a helper column in which you
    create a formula based on the items to be sorted i.e.
    =A1*100000+B1*10000+C1*1000+D1*100+E1 then sort on that column
    (adjust the multipliers to work with your data)

  5. #5
    Thanks to all. Since some of the data to be sorted in alpha-numeric the sorting twice is the way I have to go.