Formulas referencing a spaces instead of number ?

  1. #1
    Oxford England
    MS-Off Ver

    Formulas referencing a spaces instead of number ?

    Ive imported my Trial Balance into one tab. I want to analyse this information on other tabs in various ways and apply some simple sums to the values. But when I link these cells to my Trial Balance and there is no actual number I get an error if I try to apply a formula to it. It sees a blank as a space, not the absence of an actual value.

    How do I sum a range of these cells when some are spaces. Is there a formula that I can use to copy the entire TB and only copy the values, ignoring the spaces ? Then this can be the TB I analyse.

  2. #2

    Re: Formulas referencing a spaces instead of number ?

    You can use a formula like:

    =sum(a1:b9)

    This will ignore cells that are empty and cells that have text in them.

    If you want to retrieve a value from a cell, you can use a formula like:
    =sheet2!a1

    But this will show 0 if that cell is empty.

    =if(sheet2!a1="","",sheet2!a1)

    will make it look like the cell is blank if that other cell is empty.

  3. #3
    Oxford England
    MS-Off Ver
    Ive tried those formulas which unfortunatly dont work.

    My Trial Balance has some numbers and some spaces in it. The spaces are causing problems as whatever formulas I use I get errors as I cant add up numbers and spaces. The spaces are caused by my accounting package displaying an abscence of a value as a space, as if you used your space bar to clear out a cell.

    How do I remove the "spaces" so there is nothing in the cell ?

    Regards, Ainsley

  4. #4

    Re: Formulas referencing a spaces instead of number ?

    =sum() will ignore the text values in that range.

    But it sounds like your "numbers" aren't numbers. They are text masquerading as
    numbers.

    David McRitchie has a macro that cleans up this kind of stuff:

    (look for "Sub Trimall()"

  5. #5
    Oxford England
    MS-Off Ver
    Ah, thats great. Its solved my problem by just using =sum().

    Made my day, cheers.