Multi-colour 'Area' chart

  1. #1

    Thumbs up Multi-colour 'Area' chart

    I am trying (in vain) to use two colours for one data series in an Area chart. See the attached zipped files

    There is a potential solution in 'sheet2' but it gets messy updating for a new month.

    Any suggestions....?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by germullen; 05-04-2006 at 04:07 AM.

  2. #2
    Dominic
    Guest

    RE: Multi-colour 'Area' chart

    Well, I'm not sure how to make one data series have two different colors.

    Your solution on sheet2 looks pretty good. I was thinking also, instead of
    having a second row for your "second" series, use columns for May-forward on
    the same row as your second series data source.

    As the months go on, you would then simply need to change your data source
    properties for each series. Using a named range as your series data source
    may even make this more automatic.

    If there is any way to make a single range have two colors, I'm sure either
    Debra Dalgleish www.contextures.com or Jon Peltier www.peltiertech.com would
    have it on their sites. Though I looked briefly and didn't see anything
    directly relating.

    Hope that helps a bit.

  3. #3

    Thumbs up

    Dominic, it does work using two series on the same row, that's very neat, deceptively simple in the end. I didn't use Columns, I used Area for both.

    Series 1 is January up to current month (using a named range which I can extend easily each month)

    Series 2 is for the full year (ie January up to current month plus forecasts to year end). Series 2 is the highest in 'series order' so that it doesn't block out series 1 for earlier months.

    I wasn't expecting to find a solution to this one, thanks for your help.

    Ger
    Last edited by germullen; 05-04-2006 at 04:09 AM.

  4. #4
    Dominic
    Guest

    Re: Multi-colour 'Area' chart