Multiply hours:minutes by cost/hour to get total cost?

  1. #1
    Rachael
    Guest

    Multiply hours:minutes by cost/hour to get total cost?

    How does one do a simple function to multiply a time (in hours:minutes i.e.
    [hh]:mm) by a cost per hour (i.e. $60/hour).

    If I have the time in one column, and the rate per hour in another column, I
    need the total to be the total cost (i.e. 10:50 times $60 = sum??? should
    equal $650.00 but I can't get the formula to work).

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Multiply hours:minutes by cost/hour to get total cost?

    =A1*B1*24
    Times in Excel are stored as fractions of a day. Multiplying by 24 gives you the # of hours

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  3. #3
    Rachael
    Guest

    Re: Multiply hours:minutes by cost/hour to get total cost?

    I'm not sure that is what I mean. I don't need hours. I need the total fee.

    For example, I am trying to find out an amount to put on an invoice. If I
    did work for a client for 10 hours and 50 minutes, at $60 per hour, I need a
    formula to calculate how much to charge. The time format cannot change (has
    to be 10:50), as that is a constant. I don't know what formula to put for
    $60/hour or how to multiply that.

  4. #4
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Multiply hours:minutes by cost/hour to get total cost?

    Time in A1, rate in B1, =A1*B1*24. Excel will format this as time automatically, but that's a bad habit of Excel. Format as
    General or Number. Your example showed 650, just what you wanted.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    "Rachael" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | I'm not sure that is what I mean. I don't need hours. I need the total fee.
    |
    | For example, I am trying to find out an amount to put on an invoice. If I
    | did work for a client for 10 hours and 50 minutes, at $60 per hour, I need a
    | formula to calculate how much to charge. The time format cannot change (has
    | to be 10:50), as that is a constant. I don't know what formula to put for
    | $60/hour or how to multiply that.
    |
    | "Niek Otten" wrote:
    |
    | > =A1*B1*24
    | > Times in Excel are stored as fractions of a day. Multiplying by 24 gives you the # of hours
    | >
    | > --
    | > Kind regards,
    | >
    | > Niek Otten
    | >
    | > "Rachael" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | > | How does one do a simple function to multiply a time (in hours:minutes i.e.
    | > | [hh]:mm) by a cost per hour (i.e. $60/hour).
    | > |

  5. #5
    Rachael
    Guest

    Re: Multiply hours:minutes by cost/hour to get total cost?

    Wait, I just figured it out. I don't understand why it works but it does.
    Thanks!