In Excel how do I get 2 zeros to show automatically after I enter.

  1. #1
    Jackson
    Guest

    In Excel how do I get 2 zeros to show automatically after I enter.

    I am using Excel 2003. I have set my options to a fixed decimal with 2
    places. When I enter 1495 the cell shows 14.95 but when I type in 14. the
    cell shows .14. How do I get 14.00 without entering the zeros?

  2. #2
    Amedee Van Gasse
    Guest

    Re: In Excel how do I get 2 zeros to show automatically after I enter.

    Jackson shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.misc:

    > I am using Excel 2003. I have set my options to a fixed decimal with
    > 2 places. When I enter 1495 the cell shows 14.95 but when I type in
    > 14. the cell shows .14. How do I get 14.00 without entering the
    > zeros?

    What if you enter 123: 1.23 or 12.30?

    --
    Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.3.1
    If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    How to Report Bugs Effectively
    Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
    answer.
    http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-with-yes-or-n
    o-answers.html

  3. #3
    papou
    Guest

    Re: In Excel how do I get 2 zeros to show automatically after I enter.

    Hi Jackson
    Reset the options to normal (ie: untick "Fixed decimal")
    Instead see Format, Cell, Number and choose Number with 2 decimals.

    HTH
    Cordially
    Pascal

    news: [email protected]...

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: In Excel how do I get 2 zeros to show automatically after I enter.

    If you're using Excel 2003, the Fixed Decimal override doesn't work as
    expected. You can add a decimal and a zero at the end of the number, to
    override the fixed decimals. For example, type 14.0 and it will be
    entered as 14

    Jackson wrote:
    > I am using Excel 2003. I have set my options to a fixed decimal with 2
    > places. When I enter 1495 the cell shows 14.95 but when I type in 14. the
    > cell shows .14. How do I get 14.00 without entering the zeros?

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: In Excel how do I get 2 zeros to show automatically after I enter.

    Format as #,##0.00?

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    sconnyite

    "Jackson" wrote:

    > I am using Excel 2003. I have set my options to a fixed decimal with 2
    > places. When I enter 1495 the cell shows 14.95 but when I type in 14. the
    > cell shows .14. How do I get 14.00 without entering the zeros?

    Did anyone actually figure out how to make this work as it did with previous
    versions of Excel? This bites. The fact that you can trick it by typing
    "14.0" vs. "14." is way beside the point. The point is how is this logical:
    14. = .14? It is not. Wake up here Microsoft. You changed something that
    was working well. Please stop doing that.

  7. #7
    Skip_Cycle
    Guest

    RE: In Excel how do I get 2 zeros to show automatically after I en

    I absolutely totally agree. This is BS. Most accountants are used to the way
    a calculator performs in accounting mode. Excel should work in the same
    manner like it did in previous versions. HELLLLLOOO!!!!!!! The idiot who made
    this change needs to be fired to help begin the purge of all those people
    that keep making Microsoft applications user unfriendly.

  8. #8
    Program Icons Showing "arrow"
    Guest

    RE: In Excel how do I get 2 zeros to show automatically after I en

    I found out, after posting a similar complaint... that to have decimal
    placement similar to a calculator... go to TOOLS, then OPTIONS, then EDIT,
    then check FIXED DECIMAL PLACEMENT (select 2)... It works!!!! Sorry for my
    former complaint.

    Ken / San Diego