Automatic Relink of Workbooks

  1. #1
    Camilla
    Guest

    Automatic Relink of Workbooks

    My office is going to be reorganizing the drive on our server. Numerous
    workbooks that are linked to each other will be relocated to different
    folders. This will disrupt the links that curently exits between the
    workbooks and they will not be able to update each otheruntil they are
    relinked.
    I want to avoid having to manuualy search for the "contributing" workbook
    and manually relinking each workbook. is there any way excel can
    automatically reset a link between workbooks as they are moved to a different
    folder/file?

  2. #2
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Automatic Relink of Workbooks

    Simply have all pertinent WBs (source & target) *open*.

    This works automatically when "Save As" is performed, where the source is
    saved to it's new location.
    Of course, this is a "one-by-one" procedure.

    I don't think a "mass" movement, using Explorer will do what you want.
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Camilla
    Guest

    Re: Automatic Relink of Workbooks

    Thanks you it worked... i would like to ask two questions. 1. does it matter
    which order the workbooks are "saved" as... and does this technique work with
    access data bases that are linked as well?

  4. #4
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Automatic Relink of Workbooks

    When you say "which order", are you referring to source and/or target WBs?

    Doesn't matter, since the 'source' doesn't "know" anything about the
    'target'.
    Don't forget, these links are functional formulas, and as such, the 'target'
    *pulls* data ... the 'source' cannot *push* data.

    Don't know anything about Access, sorry.

    RD