Block Protect

  1. #1
    RhysPieces
    Guest

    Block Protect

    I want to protect a block of cells on a worksheet of a shared workbook. How
    to do this without protecting the entire sheet? If not, I will protect whole
    'sheet.

  2. #2
    R. Choate
    Guest

    Re: Block Protect

    Protect the sheet but then unprotect all of the cells (within a reasonable range) other than the cells you want protected. You have
    to protect the sheet to activate protection, but then you can protect or unprotect ranges within the sheet. I mentioned unprotecting
    a reasonable range because oftentimes, if you do anything that includes all of the columns to # 256 and all of the rows down to
    65,000 (approx.), then you can unintentionally get file size bloat. So just unprotect the area where people might actually do
    something and ignore the excess area that nobody will touch anyway.

    RMC,CPA

  3. #3
    RhysPieces
    Guest

    Re: Block Protect

    OK, the whole sheet is protected. How do I select a specific range to
    unprotect it or allow limited editing depending on the rules I establish
    while keeping certain cells protected from any changes?

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Block Protect

    Unprotect it, select the range you want to allow editing in, do
    format>cells>protection and de-select locked, then protect the sheet

    Peo Sjoblom

    http://nwexcelsolutions.com