Newbie Question - Subtraction Formula Question

  1. #1

    Newbie Question - Subtraction Formula Question

    I am completely unfamiliar with Excel and have constructed a simple
    spreadsheet which has two columns of figures.

    The L.H. column contains Central Heating Gas meter readings each month
    and the R.H. column is the difference between successive amounts in
    the L.H. column, thus showing the amount of gas consumed each month.

    The rows are the months ...Jan,Feb...etc.

    At present I obtain each months consumption by physically subtracting
    the last entry in the L.H. colums from the preceding entry in that
    column and entering the result in the R.H. column.

    I am , of course , aware of the basic subtraction formula " =A1-A2 ".

    However , how do I get this formula to automatically adjust for the
    descending cell names which will be necessary here as I procede each
    month from A1, A2 , A3 ...etc. so that this subtraction can be
    automated?

    B.N.

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Newbie Question - Subtraction Formula Question

    Hi, BN-
    Welcome! One of Excel's fundamental features performs that task for
    you. If you'll copy your formula cell (on the menu, click >Edit
    >Copy), move the cell pointer to the next line, and click >Edit >Paste, the formula from the original cell will paste into the new cell *and* adjust for cell references.

    Another way to perform this is to land the cell pointer on the formula
    cell. Notice the cell is outlined in black with a little square in the
    lower right corner. When you roll the mouse slowly over that square
    the cursor will change from a white cross to black crosshairs: right
    click, and drag the mouse downward (or across, but not in this case)
    and the original cell copies into the new cells, adjusting cell
    references all the while.

  3. #3
    Miguel Zapico
    Guest

    RE: Newbie Question - Subtraction Formula Question

    Hi,

    If you copy the cell and paste it in the cell below, Excel will do the work
    for you, changing the "=A1-A2" to "=A2-A3".
    Alternatively, you can click on the cell, and double click on the little
    black square on the lower right corner of the cell, and it will drop down the
    calculation all along the rows where you have data in the A column.

    Hope this helps,
    Miguel.

  4. #4

    Re: Newbie Question - Subtraction Formula Question

    Thanks to both posters - will try that out.

    B.N.