Data from Rows into columns

  1. #1
    BCLivell
    Guest

    Data from Rows into columns

    I have an excel worksheet that someone provide me. All of the information is
    in 1 column (A) with each row having the person's contact info. The pattern
    repeats for each contact. The pattern like this

    A1-Company name
    A2-Name
    A3-phone

    There are 100 contacts in this format. I need to seperate all of the
    information so that the comany name is one column and the name is an another
    column and the phone is in a third column. I can not figure out how to do
    this. Thank you!!!

  2. #2
    Alan Beban
    Guest

    Re: Data from Rows into columns

    If the functions in the freely downloadable file at
    http//home.pacbell.net/beban are available to your workbook

    =ArrayReshape(A1:A300,100,3) array entered into B1:D100

    Alan Beban

  3. #3
    Ronco
    Guest

    RE: Data from Rows into columns

    BC,
    Try highlighting column A. Then from the top menus, select Data, Text to
    Columns, delimited, Next and, then, depending on whatever is separating the
    info, select the delimiter. Then Finish.

  4. #4
    Rae Drysdale
    Guest

    Re: Data from Rows into columns

    You can copy the cells and the use paste special and click on transpose at
    the bottom of the dialogue box. You cannot overlap the paste, ie when you
    want to paste A1, A2 and A3, you will have to click on B1 rather than A1. You
    may need to insert columns to achieve this easily, and then delete the first
    column when you are finished. Hope this helps.
    --
    Rae Drysdale

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Data from Rows into columns

    Hi!

    Try this:

    Assume you want to transpose this data to a new sheet starting in cell A1:

    Enter this formula in the new sheet cell A1:

    =INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,(ROWS($1:1)-1)*3+COLUMN())

    Copy across to C1 then down until you get returns of 0.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    BCLivell
    Guest

    Re: Data from Rows into columns

    Alan-

    How d you incorperate the functions form your file?

  7. #7

    You could try this, easy to understand ...

    Creat a new column and put 1 in a1, 2 in a2, 3 in a3 and repeat by pasting down the column.Result you should have a 1 beside names a 2 beside phones numbers etc. Then in adjacent columns put in an IF formula to get your data out eg. =if(A1=1,A2,"") this could be in your B column and will provide you with your name. In Column C you could put =if(A1=2,A2,"") this will get the addresses etc. drag all your formulas down to you get all your data the way you want it then copy paste special , values to get rid of your formulas (if desired) Hope this helps

    Simonsmith

  8. #8
    Alan Beban
    Guest

    Re: Data from Rows into columns

    One way, after you have downloaded them into a file on your hard drive,
    is to copy the file into your Personal.xls file.

    Alan Beban