Absolutes?

  1. #1

    Question Absolutes?

    Hi, I have a question on these types of formulas. If a couple sets up a savings of $183 per month, for 18 yeasr at 6.5 % interest. Which areas should be absolute? Their goal is $75,000

  2. #2

    RE: Absolutes?

    "JudySonger" wrote:
    > If a couple sets up a savings of $183 per month, for 18 yeasr
    > at 6.5 % interest. Which areas should be absolute? Their goal
    > is $75,000

    Not sure what you mean by "absolutes", but ....

    You can compute the approximate future value of that annuity
    as follows:

    =FV(6.5%/12, 18*12, -183)

    But you will find that falls short of the goal by $274. The
    couple would do better to contribute $184 per month. You
    can compute that as follows:

    =PMT(6.5%/12, 18*12,, -75000)

  3. #3

    Red face absolutes

    as when the cell referance doesn't change when you copy and paste it to another cell. You do this by placing a $ in the referance. B9 in asolute form would be B$9$. I'm just not sure where to do that on this particular formula.

  4. #4

    Re: Absolutes?

    "JudySonger" wrote:
    > as when the cell referance doesn't change when you copy
    > and paste it to another cell.

    Oh. The correct term is "absolute [cell] reference", in contrast
    to "relative [cell] reference".

    > You do this by placing a $ in the referance. B9 in asolute
    > form would be B$9$. I'm just not sure where to do that
    > on this particular formula.

    There are no "absolutes" (answer) :-). It is impossible to
    say without knowing your spreadsheet design and objectives.
    As you said, you use absolute references (one of 3 forms)
    wherever you do not want the cell reference to change when
    you copy-and-paste.

    The following is a practical example that might actually fit
    with what your are trying to do (wild-*** guess). Suppose:

    A1: couple's goal (75000)
    A2: couple's time frame in years (18)

    You can build a table that shows the required monthly
    investment, given varying assumptions about average annual
    rate of return (3%, 3.5%, etc).

    A3: average rate of return (3%)
    B3: required investment: =PMT(A3/12, 12*$A$2,, -$A$1)
    A4: next average return rate (3.5%): =A3+0.5%
    B4: required investment: copy B3

    You can copy A4:B4 down for as many rates that you want
    to consider. Note that A3 is a relative reference (different
    rate of return), whereas $A$1 and $A$2 are absolute
    references (same future goal and time frame).

    HTH.

  5. #5

    Red face absolutes

    Thanks I'll give those a try