Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

sort dates by dd/mm/yyyyy

  1. #1
    Summer_Girl
    Guest

    sort dates by dd/mm/yyyyy

    Does anyone know how to sort dates my dd/mm/yyyy?
    I have checked my regional settings and they co-ordinate, but it keeps
    sorting by day regardless of the month.
    Any suggestions would help!

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: sort dates by dd/mm/yyyyy

    Make sure they are numerical, excel sort dates default by year/month/day, if
    you want to sort by month/year and day you need to use a help column to
    extract the months

    =MONTH(A2)

    copy down and select both columns and sort by the help column first, if you
    get an error the dates are text

    Peo Sjoblom

    http://nwexcelsolutions.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: sort dates by dd/mm/yyyyy

    Excel will always sort dates properly. However, you must have true Excel dates
    in order for it to work. It sounds like you have text, rather than dates. Try
    this:

    -- put zero in a cell somewhere
    -- copy it
    -- highlight your range of dates
    -- right click, choose Paste Special...>Add

    This will turn your text into dates. You may have to format the cells to get
    them to display dd/mm/yyyy.

    Now the column will sort properly.

    Fred

    "Summer_Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know how to sort dates my dd/mm/yyyy?
    > I have checked my regional settings and they co-ordinate, but it keeps
    > sorting by day regardless of the month.
    > Any suggestions would help!

Closed Thread