Change base 6 to base 10?

  1. #1
    Brian Clarke
    Guest

    Change base 6 to base 10?

    A report I get regularly lists amounts of time in hours and parts of an
    hour. However, the "parts of an hour" are units of 6 minutes, while the time
    is listed in "pseudo-decimal" format, like this:

    90 minutes would be 1.3 hours
    12 minutes would be 0.12 hours

    and so on.

    I am trying to get the right formula to translate these into decimal hours,
    so that

    90 minutes would be 1.5 hours
    12 minutes would be 0.2 hours

    and so on.

    The following works for positive numbers, but not negative numbers.

    =INT(H2)+((H2-INT(H2))*10/6)

    I have tried adapting this formula, but I am getting nowhere. Any
    suggestions would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Stefi
    Guest

    RE: Change base 6 to base 10?

    Do you mean this?

    =(INT(ABS(H2))+((ABS(H2)-INT(ABS(H2)))*10/6))*SIGN(H2)

    Regards,
    Stefi

    „Brian Clarke” ezt *rta:

  3. #3
    Brian Clarke
    Guest

    Re: Change base 6 to base 10?

    Yes, that's it! Many thanks for your help. Even after 10+ years of Excel, I
    am still learning. I wasn't aware of the SIGN function.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Andre Croteau
    Guest

    Re: Change base 6 to base 10?

    Hi Brian,

    try this:

    =(INT(ABS(H2))+((ABS(H2)-INT(ABS(H2)))*10/6))*(H2/ABS(H2))

    This will work for both negative and positive.

    rgds

    Andr

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Stefi
    Guest

    Re: Change base 6 to base 10?

    You are welcome! Thanks for the feedback!
    Stefi

    „Brian Clarke” ezt *rta: