Disable find files error message for missing links on opening WB

  1. #1

    Disable find files error message for missing links on opening WB

    I have excel workbooks comming every day from different showrooms that are downloaded in a common folder.

    in the same folder i have report sheet which has links of the above Workbooks, whenever I open the report workbook it first asks me to update links then, then if I press yes then it shows files not found error (for the workbooks not received and downloaded by me) in this case i have to press ESC button.

    can anyone give a solution how to disable file not found error at the update of the workbook so that it updates only that files that are available in the folder and ignores the files that are not available.

    Thanks in Advance
    RAZA

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Disable find files error message for missing links on opening WB

    Whenever you post a question you should always reveal the version of Excel
    you're using.

    If you have Excel 2002 or 2003 you can use the Edit, Links, Startup Prompt
    feature to control link behavior. There is nothing equivalent in earlier
    versions although using a macro (Workbooks.Open) can give you some control
    over whether links are updated or not (silently).

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    thanks Jim

    I am using excel 2000, I do think using workbook.open can solve my problem but don't know what codes would be required.

    Regards
    RAZA

  4. #4
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Disable find files error message for missing links on opening WB

    >>I do think using workbook.open can solve my problem

    I don't think it can do what you want. You want all the links that are
    available to be silently updated, with no error message if links are
    missing. All you can do with a macro is control whether links are updated
    or not.

    This updates links:

    Workbooks.Open "C:\file.xls", True

    and this doesn't:

    Workbooks.Open "C:\file.xls", False

    But if you choose the first and a link is missing, Excel will alert you.
    Sorry.