How could I forget this formula? Help please

  1. #1
    California

    How could I forget this formula? Help please

    Good afternoon,

    Alright, here's a simple one. How I have forgotten it (when I use it almost every day) is beyond me. All I know is that my mind is mush right now.

    I am preparing a blank work sheet for others to use, so here it is:

    I have multiple columns that all sum different cells. I need the "Answer" cell to not show a 0 if there is nothing to "sum".

    ex. Cell A1 is the sum total of A2-A10. If A2-A10 are empty, I do NOT want A1 to show 0.

    I have no idea how I am forgetting this today. I need a drink.

    Thanks for your help. Really.

  2. #2
    =IF(COUNTA(A2:A10)=0,"",SUM(A2:A10))

    somethinglikeant

  3. #3
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by SLAnt
    =IF(COUNTA(A2:A10)=0,"",SUM(A2:A10))

    somethinglikeant
    Didn't work. That is not the one I'm used to using so I tried it and it gave me an error code.

    Thanks for trying. My brain is mush, I need wine.
    Last edited by Scuba Wino; 05-05-2006 at 07:28 PM.

  4. #4
    =IF(SUM(A2:A10)=0,"",SUM(A2:A10))
    Long formula, I'm sure there's something simpler.

  5. #5
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: How could I forget this formula? Help please

    A1 could contain the formula =SUM(A2:A10) and you could apply
    conditional formatting to this cell such that if the cell contents is 0
    set the foreground colour to the background colour so that nothing
    shows.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  6. #6
    MartinW
    Guest

    Re: How could I forget this formula? Help please

    Or you could go to Tools>Options>View tab and uncheck zero values.

  7. #7
    gary-in.biz

    Scuba Wino wrote:
    > Good afternoon,
    >
    > Alright, here's a simple one. How I have forgotten it (when I use it
    > almost every day) is beyond me. All I know is that my mind is mush
    > right now.

    =IF(A5<A66,0,$C$5)

    I use this in one of my sheets... if a5 is less than a66, then just put
    a 0 there, but if a5 is greater than a66, then put in the value of c5

  8. #8
    California
    Thanks everyone for their help. I really appreciate you taking the time out to help me. I got now. My mind is a little better today.

    Thanks again everyone. It's nice to know someone is out there when you need them.