If I type in 3, I get .003 after hitting enter. All .xls files.

  1. #1
    Stu
    Guest

    If I type in 3, I get .003 after hitting enter. All .xls files.

    Every .xls file I open or create, this occurs. If I type in a number & hit
    enter, that number divided by 1000 appears. This does not appear to be
    related to formatting or a formula, but rather some global "setup" or
    "options" feature in my desktop. In my office, no one else experiences this
    & our IT guys have no answer for me.
    I can get the number entered correctly by typing ie. 3.0 to get 3. But if I
    type 3, I'll get .003 . If I double-click into a cell which contains 3, then
    <enter> I'll get .003 .
    This could actually be useful at times... I would like to know how to turn
    this ON & OFF.
    Any idea?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: If I type in 3, I get .003 after hitting enter. All .xls files.

    Goto Tools>Options and on the Edit tab there is a checkbox for Fixed
    Decimal. Uncheck that box.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: If I type in 3, I get .003 after hitting enter. All .xls files.

    "Stu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Every .xls file I open or create, this occurs. If I type in a number &
    > hit
    > enter, that number divided by 1000 appears. This does not appear to be
    > related to formatting or a formula, but rather some global "setup" or
    > "options" feature in my desktop. In my office, no one else experiences
    > this
    > & our IT guys have no answer for me.
    > I can get the number entered correctly by typing ie. 3.0 to get 3. But if
    > type 3, I'll get .003 . If I double-click into a cell which contains 3,
    > then
    > <enter> I'll get .003 .
    > This could actually be useful at times... I would like to know how to turn
    > this ON & OFF.
    > Any idea?

    Tools/ Options/ Edit:
    Unset "Fixed decimal places"