Excel number format problems

  1. #1
    Annoyed !!!
    Guest

    Excel number format problems

    If I want to use a number with 8 digits and a leading zero I've set up a
    custom format using 8 zeros. Trouble is as soon as I go out of format option
    the cell formatting changes to Greek. The leading zeros are retained but
    dissapear when I use the info on the worksheet to merge to labels or other
    Word documents.

    How do I retain my custom cell formatting ????

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Set the cell formula to 'text' - ie:

    =Text(A1*A2,"00000000")

    or

    =Text( your calculation ,"00000000")

    --

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed !!!

  3. #3
    Annoyed !!!
    Guest

    Re: Excel number format problems

    That would be fine if I wasn't using a simple formula in the cells as well.
    It's a basic six digit date code with an extra two digits to determine
    chronological order of production on batch number labels.

    I've set it up so that it does a simple calculation =B7+1 for instance where
    B7 is the cell immediately above in the column so that it continues down the
    column when copied and pasted adding one number at a time. It needs to be
    flexible as some start with 0 if the day is 1 to 9 in the month. If I could
    only retain the custom number format instead of it changing to Greek all the
    time it would be fine.

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    6,195