Multiple users opening same Excel spreadsheet.

  1. #1
    Ehren
    Guest

    Multiple users opening same Excel spreadsheet.

    We are having a issue in which several users have to use the same excel sheet
    to add different things and or make revisions but when one of these people
    leaves it open the other people can not open it in an editable mode. There
    are a couple of people that it will tell which user has the sheet open and
    they can go to that person and have them close it. All others just say
    different variations of "another user has this open, would you like to open a
    copy, or would you like to open it as read only" But there is no way of
    telling who it is.

    Is there any way to make it display who has it open or to alleviate this
    issue that anyone can think of?

    Much appreciation in advance!

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    You could make the workbook a shared workbook. Have everyone exit the workbook. Open it and then go to Tools, Share Workbook. Select checkbox next to the "Allow changes by more than one user at the same time..." statement on the Editing tab. Click OK. You will be prompted to save the workbook. Click Yes. See "About shared workbooks" in the Help file.

    HTH

    Steve

  3. #3
    Ehren
    Guest

    Re: Multiple users opening same Excel spreadsheet.

    Hmm! That is interesting, thanks. What kind of implications does that have
    if multiple people are saving things at the same time? Does it have some
    sort of conflict solving process?

  4. #4
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Ethren,

    Yes. From the Help topic "About shared workbooks, Editing a shared workbook":

    After you open a shared workbook, you can enter and change data as you do in a regular workbook. A few aspects are different from working in a regular workbook, however.

    Seeing other users' changes Each time you save the shared workbook, you're updated with any changes that others have saved since the last time you saved. If you want to keep the shared workbook open to monitor progress, you can have Microsoft Excel update you with changes automatically, at timed intervals that you specify, with or without saving the workbook yourself.

    Resolving conflicts When you save changes to a shared workbook, another person who's currently editing the workbook might have saved changes to the same cells. In this case, the changes conflict, and a conflict resolution dialog box appears that allows you to decide whose changes to keep.

    Keeping personal views and settings Excel saves a custom view (view: A set of display and print settings that you can name and apply to a workbook. You can create more than one view of the same workbook without saving separate copies of the workbook.) of the shared workbook for you that includes things like which worksheet you have displayed and your zoom settings. By default your view includes any filter (filter: To display only the rows in a list that satisfy the conditions you specify. You use the AutoFilter command to display rows that match one or more specific values, calculated values, or conditions.) and print settings you make, or you can specify that you want to use the original filter and print settings. Each time you open the shared workbook, Excel displays it with your view in effect, so that each user can have his or her own settings.

    Regards,

    Steve

  5. #5
    Valued Forum Contributor