Closed Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Reducing size of a file with no data

  1. #1
    Oglu
    Guest

    Reducing size of a file with no data

    I have an excel file with several Sheets that was causing me troubles when
    emailing it because it was too big.
    I separated each an every Sheet of it into different files to identifiy the
    biggest one. So i did, and after getting rid of colors, fancy fonts, lines,
    etc., the size was about the same. So, i started deleting the data of that
    sheet to find out what was the main problem. But i found out that even when i
    deleted the whole information and there was nothing on the screen the archive
    was still a ONE Megabyte file.
    What causes this? What does the file has that i cant see anything on the
    screen but there is still a lot of data recorded?

  2. #2

    Re: Reducing size of a file with no data

    If you hit ctrl-end (on each worksheet), do you go way past where you know the
    data ends?

    If yes...

    Visit Debra Dalgleish's site for some techniques for resetting that
    lastusedcell.

    And if you have pictures/objects/comments embedded on those worksheets, they
    could be
    causing trouble.

  3. #3
    Oglu
    Guest

    Re: Reducing size of a file with no data

    Thanks for the link but I tried again deleting all the arrows and columns
    after page one and nothing happened.
    If i were to print what's on the screen, only ONE BLANK sheet of paper will
    come out of the printer.
    I really mean that there is NOTHING on the screen (no pictures, no objets,
    no comments, no visble data) to print. And page one is the only one active
    and the only one that would be printed (blank) if i wanted to do so.
    Still, the file is a 1MB file.
    If there's a chance to upload the file somewhere (or send it) so i can make
    myself clear please tell me so.

  4. #4
    b&s
    Guest

    Re: Reducing size of a file with no data

    I think You must have hidden objects. Try this: F5/Special.../Objects/OK
    than press Delete ...

    --
    pozdrav!/regards!
    Berislav

  5. #5
    Forum Expert dominicb's Avatar
    Lancashire, England
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 2000, 2003, 2007 & 2016 365
    Posts
    4,867

    Smile

    Good morning Oglu

    Any macros? Multiple macro editing can cause exessive file size.

    Alternatively try this. File > Save As... Select Web Page as the file type, then Entire Workbook and click OK. Close Excel. Reopen Excel and open the file from the HTML format. Now save the file back as .xls format. Does that decrease the size for you?

    Don't forget to delete the HTML files - they're no longer needed.

    HTH

    **** I've never had a problem using this trick, but only do it on a file you have a recent back up of ****

    DominicB

  6. #6
    Oglu
    Guest

    Re: Reducing size of a file with no data

    Good day
    Thanks alot to all of you, i guess the problem was with macros. I saved it
    as an .html file and then export it to excel and it worked! Now the file is a
    60 kb file instead of 1Mb.

    thanks for taking the time to solving others people's troubles.

  7. #7
    jim28
    Guest

    Re: Reducing size of a file with no data

    I have a same problem too, however, I delete the macro, name, and also save
    as html and then back to .xls again. The file size only reduce 20K. Right now
    the file size is 150K. I know that a new file only have around 15-20K.

    Regards
    Jimmy