how can I split one cell's data into two cells?

  1. #1
    Guest

    how can I split one cell's data into two cells?

    I am using Excel as a database, and have a column with cells with a person's
    name (text) in it...e.g., John Smith. NOW, after the fact, I wish to have a
    column with just John in it, and another column with just Smith...but I have
    NO idea how to do this! Help would be appreciated. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: how can I split one cell's data into two cells?

    Please refrain from multiposting, you have answers in one of the 4!
    newsgroups you posted the same question in. Multiposting is frowned upon and
    even the MS web interface states so

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com
    if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com
    if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: how can I split one cell's data into two cells?

    This is a FAQ in these groups, and the main problem with any solution (and
    there are several) is the *exact* configuration of the data.

    Names come in many differing formats, from titles (Mr. - Mrs. - Dr. -Ms.),
    to 2 and/or 3 part surnames and/or initials (John Wilkes Booth - Oscar De La
    Hoya - J. E. McGimpsey).

    Therefore, there is *no* sure-fire, one size fits all solution!

    You might post back with a description of the most prevalent configuration
    that you feel is the majority one in your data list.

    RD

  4. #4
    Guest

    Re: how can I split one cell's data into two cells?

    I described exactly how my date is organized...one cell containing FIRSTNAME
    space SECOND NAME...

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: how can I split one cell's data into two cells?

    Then Peo's suggestion in the worksheet.functions group will fill the bill.

    RD

    -
    > > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

    !

    -