Values to a folder name on desktop

  1. #1
    Matt
    Guest

    Values to a folder name on desktop

    I have a spreadsheet with 2200 names on it, and I would like to create a
    folder (on my desktop, or hard drive) for each individual one without
    creating them one and a time 2200 times. Does anyone know how to do this?

  2. #2
    Chris Marlow
    Guest

    RE: Values to a folder name on desktop

    Matt,

    When I need to do something like this quick and dirty (rather than something
    I think will be repeated - where I'd probably delve into code) I do something
    like this (say my names are in column A & I'm adding to all users desktop);

    1) Write a formula ="mkdir ""C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Desktop\"&A1&"""" and drag down as needed.
    2) Drop the contents into notepad & save as something.BAT
    3) Find something.BAT in Explorer & double click (or use command line - same
    difference).

    Regards,

    Chris.

    --
    Chris Marlow
    MCSD.NET, Microsoft Office XP Master

  3. #3
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Values to a folder name on desktop

    This macro will do it... you'll need an uninterrupted list of names
    with no duplications. If I can editorialize for one nanosecond, it
    seems to me that 2200 folders will be very difficult to administer.

    Sub Long_List_of_Directories()
    Dim BasePath As String
    BasePath = "c:\"

    Do Until ActiveCell.Value = ""
    MkDir BasePath & ActiveCell.Value
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    Loop

    End Sub

  4. #4
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Values to a folder name on desktop

    FOrgot to mention: you can change the value of BasePath to match your
    exact needs.

  5. #5
    Matt
    Guest

    RE: Values to a folder name on desktop

    I followed your procedure and after double clicking on the .BAT file dos
    performed something but the folders were not created ..... any other ideas?

  6. #6
    Chris Marlow
    Guest

    RE: Values to a folder name on desktop

    Matt,

    Could it be that you parent directory does not exist? Can you navigate &
    check in Windows Explorer?

    Additionally you could try running the BAT file through the command line -
    will tell you what the errors are (they come up when you run it but probably
    to quick to read).

    Do Start, Run cmd (return) - use "cd" to navigate to the folder containing
    file - type the name in hit return & it will run.

    Or try Dave O's code ...

    Regards,

    Chris.

  7. #7
    Matt
    Guest

    RE: Values to a folder name on desktop

    Actually Chris' method solved it just instead of have All Users in the path
    you I needed to use my exact user name .... unless maybe that is now being
    sent throughout the entire corporation, and about 4000 people will be pretty
    upset, o well
    Thanks for the help.

  8. #8
    Chris Marlow
    Guest

    RE: Values to a folder name on desktop

    Matt,

    No worries - should just be local to your PC. The 'all users' area just
    means it can be shared by all users logging onto your PC (in theory).

    Regards,

    Chris.