Pivot tables: What are they?

  1. #1
    Zerex71
    Guest

    Pivot tables: What are they?

    Greetings,

    In all my years of Excel-dom, I have never used pivot tables, and have
    only the rawest understanding of what they are. I got the impression
    from skimming the Excel help that they are useful if you have several
    batches of data in multiple tables, but they are set up to take up only
    the space of one table based on a selection key...or something like
    that. (For instance, Excel can contain three M x N sets of data, but
    the user must select a key of some kind and then Excel will display the
    proper data set, such as M1 x N1, etc.)

    At least that is my understanding of it. If anyone could shed some
    plain-English light on this, I would appreciate it. I'm sure there's
    lot of applications I could use them for but I have never delved that
    deeply into the topic. Thanks.

    Mike

  2. #2
    Puppet_Sock
    Guest

    Re: Pivot tables: What are they?

    Zerex71 wrote:
    [pivot table angst]

    You need to start by carefully reading the help files that come
    with Excel. There's an entire tutorial in there, with examples of
    creating and modifying pivot tables.
    Socks

  3. #3
    Harald Staff
    Guest

    Re: Pivot tables: What are they?

    Hi Mike

    A Pivot table is a very fast and flexible data analysis / data summary tool
    that leaves the real data material untouched. They are at their best working
    on a single data source, a huge table or dataset, the multi table support
    isn't good.

    See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm and spend 10 minutes doing the
    demo described. It's very simple, and it may give you an idea of the
    flexibility and speed involved.

    Once you get into Pivot tables, you can't imagine how you managed without
    them.

    HTH. Best wishes Harald

    "Zerex71" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Pivot tables: What are they?

    Do you ever use data|sort followed by data|subtotals to get summary
    counts/sums/averages? And if you never cared about the details (maybe you used
    the outlining symbols on the left after data|subtotals to hide those details),
    then investing a little bit of time in learning pivottables will be well worth
    it.

    Here are a few more links:

    Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
    And Debra's own site:

    John Walkenbach also has some at:
    http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
    (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

    Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

    MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
    http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
    http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx

  5. #5
    Zerex71
    Guest

    Re: Pivot tables: What are they?

    Thanks to those who explained them to me, I greatly appreciated it! I
    may use them in my future work. I will check those links for help.

    Mike