PC always opens 3 workbooks

  1. #1
    New Zealand

    PC always opens 3 workbooks

    Every time I open a spreadsheet I get three workbooks opened.
    One is the one I clicked on, another is called "book1"and the other
    is called "personal [read only]".

    I use a networked pc at work.

    How do I change the settings so only the document I clicked on
    is the one that opens?

  2. #2

    Re: PC always opens 3 workbooks

    Open excel.
    Make personal.xls the active workbook
    window|Hide
    close excel and answer yes to the "do you want to save your changes to
    personal.xls" prompt.

    Personal.xls is a workbook in your XLStart folder that usually contains macros
    that you want to have available each time you open excel. But most people want
    this file hidden so that it's not distracting.

    Now try opening excel once more.

    Did it work?

    If not, take a look at your xlstart folder and see what files are there.

    Post back with your results.

    Many people only have their personal.xl* workbook and maybe a template or two
    (book.xlt and/or sheet.xlt). If you have more files there, try moving them
    elsewhere and see if that helps. (You'll have to move the files with excel
    closed.)

  3. #3
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: PC always opens 3 workbooks

    hide your personal.xls (as is customary) and open your files from in excel
    or from a shortcut on the desktop with /e

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  4. #4
    New Zealand
    Thanks for the help, the personal workbook no longer opens.
    However the book1.xls still opens.

    I tried the suggested technique to book1 but it didn't work.

  5. #5

    Re: PC always opens 3 workbooks

    Is that workbook really named book1.xls?

    If it is, check under your XLStart folder once more.

    If you can't find it there, maybe using windows start button|search would help
    you find it.

  6. #6
    New Zealand
    Its definitely called book1.xls.
    I found two XLStart folders from the search (one is office, the other office11)
    Both contained "PERSONAL" and "Insert Visio Button.XLS" (2 KB).

    The problem with the PERSONAL workbook was solved though.
    Could it be netowrk related?

    I'm using Excel 2003 with SP1.

  7. #7

    Re: PC always opens 3 workbooks

    I would guess that the network has nothing to do with it.

    I'd still look for book1.xls using windows search.

    In fact, if you type this in A1 of book1.xls:

    =cell("Filename",a1)

    What do you see?

    If the filename really includes that extension (.xls), then you should see the
    complete path to that file--and you can close excel and use windows explorer to
    delete it.

    ========
    You can find the XLStart folder that excel wants to use (it'll find multiple
    folders depending on your upgrade path) is to do this:

    Open excel
    hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE
    hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window
    type this and hit enter.
    ?application.startuppath

    For me (xl2003 and winXP):
    C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

    That's where I'd keep the only files that I want opened when excel opens.

    ========
    ps. I'd move the "Insert Visio Button.XLS" workbook to a nice safe location,
    too. I don't see how a real .xls file can be only 2KB. (A shortcut to another
    file shows 1KB for me.)