Translating formulas

  1. #1
    Cameron
    Guest

    Translating formulas

    I use Excel 2003. I have received a spreadsheet from a German colleague in
    which they have inputted formulas in German, and example of which is:

    =XINTZINSFUSS

    My version of excel will not calculate these formulas as it does not
    recognize them. I have looked around and discovered that I should be able to
    rememby this by enabling German Language support. I enabled this using the
    office 2003 language tools following instructions from microsoft.com but this
    has not helped, the formula's are still not recognized.

    Can someone please let me know how I can rememdy this?

  2. #2
    Bondi
    Guest

    Re: Translating formulas

    Hi,

    Maybe you have to enable the Analysis Tool Pak.

    Regards,
    Bondi

  3. #3
    Cameron
    Guest

    Re: Translating formulas

    that is not it, thanks though.

  4. #4
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Translating formulas

    Hi Cameron,

    Try downloading KeepITcool's excellent TranslateIT add-in which may be
    downloaded, free of charge at:

    http://members.chello.nl/jvolk/keepitcool/download.html

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Cameron
    Guest

    Re: Translating formulas

    that is a neat tool, however when i translate my formulas i am left with
    #NAME instead of the result, which is what i had before

  6. #6

    Re: Translating formulas

    If that's really what's in the cell, it doesn't look like a worksheet function
    (no paretheses).

    Maybe you can see it under
    insert|name|define

    You may want to get Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew
    Henson) Name Manager:

    You can find it at:
    NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

    It'll make working with names much, much easier.

    If it really looked like:
    =XINTZINSFUSS()
    or
    =XINTZINSFUSS(somethingelsehere)

    Then never mind.

    ======
    And if KeepItCool's utility didn't help, could it be a user defined function
    (written by the developer in VBA).

  7. #7
    Bondi
    Guest

    Re: Translating formulas

    Hi all
    I belive that

    =XINTZINSFUSS()

    Is the german version of

    XIRR()

    So maybe the conversion kits do not cover the atp ?

    Regards,
    Bondi

  8. #8
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Translating formulas

    Hi Bondi,

    > So maybe the conversion kits do not cover the atp ?

    From KeepITcool's web notes:
    '---------------------------------
    Version 3.
    ADDED a routine to "localize" Analysis Toolpak functions from a "foreign"
    file to local language.
    '---------------------------------

    Additionally, if I ask the utility to give me the German equivalent of
    XIRR(), the response is XINTZINSFUSS()

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

  9. #9
    Bondi
    Guest

    Re: Translating formulas

    Hi Norman,

    Well.. my bad. I could not really be bothered to install the thingy..
    Just an idea.

    Regards,
    Bondi

  10. #10
    Ove Haithabu
    Guest

    Re: Translating formulas

    Hi,
    I have the same issue. German .xls file with XINTZINSFUSS formula on english
    version of Excel2003. Anyway, I have the Microsoft Office 2003 Multi-lingual
    User Interface Pack (German MUI) installed and even did the update to Service
    Pack 1 for that which is available on the support.microsoft.com page.
    Still, that does not do the trick. It appears that this formula was
    unfortunately not translated and since we are talking about Excel 2003 I do
    not expect a translation for this.

    As a workaround you can do a global find and replace as the German
    XINTZINSFUSS is the equivalent of the english XIRR.

    I am using a company PC and since i like my job I will not install any 3rd
    party tools which convert or upgrade my Excel. The risk is just too big.

    OH