Font Color

  1. #1
    Pinks
    Guest

    Font Color

    I would like to be able to change the color of a value within a cell
    depending on whether this is a negative or positive value. Thus - if my
    calculation reults in a minus value e.g -2.7, I would like this displayed in
    Red. If it is positive value, say 10 then I would like it displayed in green.
    Any help or advice would very much appreciated

    Pinks

  2. #2
    Bondi
    Guest

    Re: Font Color

    Hi,

    You can achive this with Conditional Formatting in the the Tools menu.

    Regards,
    Bondi

  3. #3
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Font Color

    Hi Pinks,

    Use Excel's Conditional Format feature.

    If this is not familiar to you, see Debra Dalgleish's tutorial at:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bondi
    Guest

    Re: Font Color

    Well not the Tools menu... The cleaver guys at MS placed it in the
    Format menu

    :o)

  5. #5
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Font Color

    "Pinks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I would like to be able to change the color of a value within a cell
    > depending on whether this is a negative or positive value. Thus - if my
    > calculation reults in a minus value e.g -2.7, I would like this displayed
    > in
    > Red. If it is positive value, say 10 then I would like it displayed in
    > green.
    > Any help or advice would very much appreciated

    Conditional Format, as suggested by others, is one option, but if you are
    just trying to put negative values in red this is available under Format
    Cells (Number or Custom), where there are various options to give negative
    numbers in red. You can, of course, change the default (used for the
    postive numbers) to green, or whatever, with Format Cells/ Font.
    --
    David Biddulph

  6. #6
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Font Color

    An example of normal cell formatting might help:
    [Green]0.00;[Red]0.00

    You can start with formatting with color that is close to what you
    want then look at the formatting to see what it looks like in
    format, custom i.e. 0.00;[Red]0.00
    which is easily modified in custom to [Green]0.00;[Red]0.00
    You might want to use a darker green though
    [Color 10]0.00;[Red]0.00
    which I expect would show up on a CRT it does not show up well
    on my laptop. More information on colors in
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/colors.htm

    Some examples on nomal cell formatting in
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm

    More information on Conditional Formatting
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm
    but your request should be done with normal cell formatting
    as it is a lot more efficient.
    ---
    HTH,

  7. #7
    Pinks
    Guest

    Re: Font Color

    Thank you all so much for your help. As I am not reaaly at all familiar with
    Excel I shall have to give it a slow try and see how it goes. Thank you again.
    --
    Pinks