Dates in Pivot Table out of sequence - help

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Dates in Pivot Table out of sequence - help

    I have a pivot table that pulls data from a page in excel. The row field uses dates and for some reason may 8th is listed after may 16th. I remember that for some reason the data for may 8th needed to have the format changed to date, it was the only date where this was a problem. I corrected that and made sure the cell formats were identical for all dates, but may 8th is still at the bottom. I tried pulling out the date field from the pivot table, refreshing, and then throwing it back in but it is still after may 16th. Do I need to completely rebuild all pivot tables to correct this?

  2. #2

    Re: Dates in Pivot Table out of sequence - help

    It sounds to me that that "date" isn't really a date.

    I'd format that cell as Date and then re-enter the value. (Simply changing the
    format of the cell isn't enough.)

    Then go to the pivottable and rightclick on it and choose refresh.

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Thanks for the tip, but that didn't work.

    I am sure it is really a date because when I re-format the column to different date formats (mm/dd, mm/dd/yyyy, etc) all the values change, the 5/8 date included. Nonetheless I tried deleting it and re-entering it, then refreshing, that still didnt help. Next I grabbed the date above it (5/7) dragged it down one cell to turn to 5/8, then copy/pasted that through the rows that should be 5/8. Not even that worked.

    Any other suggestions?

  4. #4

    Re: Dates in Pivot Table out of sequence - help

    Are you sure you have the PT set to sort automatically by that field?

  5. #5

    Re: Dates in Pivot Table out of sequence - help

    Double click on that grey button for that field.
    click the advanced button
    check the sort choice.

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Nope... that was the problem, I had set to manual.

    I'm new at the PT thing, thanks a lot for your help!