MS Excel 2003 - inserting an editors name into a cell

  1. #1
    TP GS 180506
    Guest

    MS Excel 2003 - inserting an editors name into a cell

    How do I insert a user's name automatically into a specific cell when they
    open a worksheet, make some changes and then save it. I need to record the
    last person to make changes to the spreadsheet. There name needs to be
    automatically inserted into a specific cell of my choosing so that when
    someone else looks at the spreadsheet either in read-only mode or without
    making any changes to it they can see who last edited it.

  2. #2
    Paul Lautman
    Guest

    Re: MS Excel 2003 - inserting an editors name into a cell

    TP GS 180506 wrote:
    > How do I insert a user's name automatically into a specific cell when
    > they open a worksheet, make some changes and then save it. I need to
    > record the last person to make changes to the spreadsheet. There name
    > needs to be automatically inserted into a specific cell of my
    > choosing so that when someone else looks at the spreadsheet either in
    > read-only mode or without making any changes to it they can see who
    > last edited it.

    Have you thought of using Tools->Track changes to get all their (note not
    there!!!) changes listed?

  3. #3
    Zone
    Guest

    Re: MS Excel 2003 - inserting an editors name into a cell

    I put this in a regular module. You could also use it in the workbook
    module as an on open event.

    Sub Auto_open()
    [a1] = ThisWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Author")
    End Sub

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: MS Excel 2003 - inserting an editors name into a cell

    To get the last saved by name I think you would need,

    [a1]= ThisWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Last Author")

    Cheers
    Andy

    Zone wrote:
    > I put this in a regular module. You could also use it in the workbook
    > module as an on open event.
    >
    > Sub Auto_open()
    > [a1] = ThisWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Author")

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info