Percentage Discount Total

  1. #1

    Percentage Discount Total

    Hi All,

    Can anyone help me with the following.

    I have the formula =SUM(D2*(20/100)) which gives me the discount value of cell D2 i.e if D2 = £10 then the SUM = £2

    But I want the formula to work out the total minus the sum ie.

    £10 - 20% = £8

    I hope ive made this clear, maybe im just going about it the wrong way.
    Regards

    Mark

  2. #2
    Jim May
    Guest

    RE: Percentage Discount Total

    Try:
    =SUM((D2*(1-(20/100))))
    seems to work..
    although only =D2*(1-(20/100))
    will accomplish.
    HTH

  3. #3

    mdj101 wrote:
    > I have the formula =3DSUM(D2*(20/100)) which gives me the discount
    > value of cell D2 i.e if D2 =3D =A310 then the SUM =3D =A32
    > But I want the formula to work out the total minus the sum ie.
    > =A310 - 20% =3D =A38

    There are usually many ways to accomplish the same thing.
    Perhaps the simplest for you to understand is to formulate it
    exactly as you described, to wit one of the following:

    =3DD2 - D2*20/100
    =3DD2 - D2*20%

    Note: There is no reason to use SUM() in this formula.
    I am curious: why did you do it in the first place?

    Also note: You might want to add some appropriate rounding.
    What is "appropriate" depends on your goals and monetary
    system. For example, one of the following (for US dollars):

    =3DROUND(D2 - D2*20%, 2)
    =3DD2 - ROUND(D2*20%, 2)