How to Copy and Paste Several Columns of Data into Excel... ?

  1. #1
    M_FLEMING
    Guest

    How to Copy and Paste Several Columns of Data into Excel... ?

    Hello,

    I am trying to copy and paste several columns (some columns have more than
    fifteen characters) of data into an Excel worksheet. If I try to copy all
    three columns and do paste special Excel changes the data to number format,
    therefore I get 4287961+E. I would like to copy three columns of data (some
    columns have more than fifteen characters) at once and paste them into the
    spreadsheet while maintaining the integrity of the data. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: How to Copy and Paste Several Columns of Data into Excel... ?

    The integrity of the data has not changed- just the way it is displayed
    on screen. You can reformat the scientific notation back to a date and
    the results should be as you expected.

  3. #3

    Re: How to Copy and Paste Several Columns of Data into Excel... ?

    Also, widening the coumns usualy fixes this kind of thing.

  4. #4
    Dominic LeVasseur
    Guest

    RE: How to Copy and Paste Several Columns of Data into Excel... ?

    What type of data is it?

    Excel can not handle more than 15 characters of precision for a number.
    Though you don't mention it, I imagine that you noticed that all digits after
    15 have been converted to 0.

    If you need all of the digits, then you could try to format the destination
    cells as Text BEFORE you paste, and then try using PasteSpecial.

    What is the data source you are copying from?

    HTH