Scheduler and passwords

  1. #1
    VPH
    Guest

    Scheduler and passwords

    Hi
    Trying to run a password protected excel workbook in Scheduler - it opens,
    updates and is emailed out. ( Jet report).
    Scheduler works fine if the workbook is not password protected but hangs if
    it is password protected.
    Is there anything I can do password protect a document but use scheduler -
    possbily a macro that adds the password on saving the workbook?
    Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: Scheduler and passwords

    I don't know what scheduling program you're using, but maybe you can get around
    the problem by having the scheduling program open a helper workbook.

    This helper workbook would have a macro named auto_open that would open the real
    workbook (by supplying the password) and then get out of the way:

    Kind of like:

    Option Explicit
    Sub auto_open()
    Workbooks.Open Filename:="c:\my documents\excel\book2.xls", _
    password:="yourpasswordhere"
    ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False
    End Sub

  3. #3
    VPH
    Guest

    Re: Scheduler and passwords

    Thanks for the suggestion - from it we'll look at creating a macro that only
    saves the password in the output file (after scheduler opens it)- so the
    input excell file on the server would not require a password to open. We're
    using the Windows Task scheduler.