Advanced filter exclusion

  1. #1
    Eric Stephens
    Guest

    Advanced filter exclusion

    I would like to create an advanced filter criterion that works in reverse; in
    other words, it doesn't select rows BECAUSE they contain a specified value,
    it selects all rows that do NOT contain a specified value. For example, if I
    have a column that contains any of the 26 individual letters of the alphabet
    as a code (meaning the value for that column in each individual row would
    either be the single letter "A" or "B" or "C", etc.), I want the filter to
    return all rows that have a value OTHER THAN "X" (so that the result would be
    rows that had any value of A-W or Y or Z). How can I do this?

    Thanks,
    Eric

  2. #2
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Advanced filter exclusion

    Create a new criterion with blank column heder, and in next row, following
    formula:
    =A2<>"X"

    AP

    message de news: [email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Advanced filter exclusion

    Try something like this:

    With your list in A5:A60, with the column title in A5 (eg A5: MyTitle)

    A1: MyTitle (or whatever your column title is)
    A2: <>X

    Select your list
    List range: (your already selected list: $A$5:$A$60
    Criteria Range: $A$1:$A$2
    Click the [OK] button

    Only list items that do not equal X will be visible

    Does that help?
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP