Is there an option to do a "mass change"?

  1. #1

    Is there an option to do a "mass change"?

    Hello,
    I thought I saw somewhere an option that would let me change a bunch of cells at once.

    My dilemma:
    I have about 300 cells with a 'MMII #' in them (no quotes). The # represents a number from 1 to 500.

    Is there a way to change all the 'MMII' in the cell to a '2:' and keep the numbers? There is a space between the numbers and the MMII.

    Thanks for your help.

    Alan

  2. #2
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Is there an option to do a "mass change"?

    Select all cells
    Edit>Replace

    AP

    [email protected]...

  3. #3
    RaymundCG
    Guest

    RE: Is there an option to do a "mass change"?

    Hi AnimatorElf!

    You can also try the ff (Assuming your data is Sheet 1):

    (1) Copy the range containing the MMII # data to new sheet (Sheet 2, but
    same workbook) then paste
    (2) Without moving the cursor in the new sheet, enter the ff formula...

    =REPLACE(Sheet1Range,1,5,"2:")

    where Sheet1Range refers to the original data; you should highlight this
    Sheet1 range to be able to use the original data into the formula

    (3) Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

    Hope this helps!
    --
    Thanks and kind regards

  4. #4
    Thank you for the quick reply. But unfortunatly it doesn't work for all of them.

    I will select a bunch of the cells, do as you say and about the first 5 chance correctly, but then the rest turn into things like this:

    0.126388889
    0.129166667
    0.129166667

    I have no clue why the first few work and the rest dont. The cell formats are all Text.

  5. #5
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Is there an option to do a "mass change"?

    Please post your sample data.

  6. #6
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Is there an option to do a "mass change"?

    "AnimatorElf" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Thank you for the quick reply. But unfortunatly it doesn't work for all
    > of them.
    >
    > I will select a bunch of the cells, do as you say and about the first 5
    > chance correctly, but then the rest turn into things like this:
    >
    > 0.126388889
    > 0.126388889
    > 0.129166667
    >
    > I have no clue why the first few work and the rest dont. The cell
    > formats are all Text.

    It sounds as if the content of the cells has been treated as times, rather
    than text. Your two numbers look like 3:02 and 3:06, so I guess you had
    2:62 and 2:66 , without any spaces after the "2:"? If you make sure you
    keep a space after the "2:", then you may be more successful.
    --
    David Biddulph

  7. #7
    Here is my data:

    Cells C2 thru C15 are:
    MM 15
    MM 20
    MM 32
    MM 62
    MM 63
    MM 65
    MM 74
    MM 90
    MM 102
    MM 102
    MM 132
    MM 149
    MM 161
    MM 163

    I would like to make them:
    1:15
    1:20
    1:32
    1:62
    1:63
    1:65
    1:74
    1:90
    1:102
    1:102
    1:132
    1:149
    1:161
    1:163

    But instead I get this when I do that Edit>Replace option:
    1:09
    1:28
    1:37
    0.084027778
    0.134027778
    0.136805556
    0.142361111
    0.143055556
    0.14375
    0.156944444
    0.175
    0.186805556
    0.186805556
    0.207638889

    Thank you.

  8. #8
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Is there an option to do a "mass change"?

    "David Biddulph" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "AnimatorElf" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> Thank you for the quick reply. But unfortunatly it doesn't work for all
    >> of them.
    >>
    >> I will select a bunch of the cells, do as you say and about the first 5
    >> chance correctly, but then the rest turn into things like this:
    >>
    >> 0.126388889
    >> 0.126388889
    >> 0.129166667
    >>
    >> I have no clue why the first few work and the rest dont. The cell
    >> formats are all Text.

    > It sounds as if the content of the cells has been treated as times, rather
    > than text. Your two numbers look like 3:02 and 3:06, so I guess you had
    > 2:62 and 2:66 , without any spaces after the "2:"? If you make sure you
    > keep a space after the "2:", then you may be more successful.

    .... but having tried my suggestion, the question is how one ensures that
    there is a space, as the edit seems to ignore it. We'll let someone else
    answer that! [I'm trying to fathom out what is different in your cells that
    do work, as mine seems to go wrong on all cells.]
    --
    David Biddulph

  9. #9
    RaymundCG
    Guest

    Re: Is there an option to do a "mass change"?

    Hi again! As per example...

    Assuming you want to the results on the column beside it (D2:D15)...

    Highlight D2:D15 then enter the ff:

    =REPLACE(C2:C15,1,3,"1:") then commit as CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

    Hope this helps!
    --
    Thanks and kind regards

  10. #10
    That Replace formula worked wonders. Thank you

    I just needed it in the same column they were in, not one next to it, so I just made the "bad" column size '0' and hid them all.

    Thanks a lot!

    AnimatorElf

  11. #11
    Ouch... I can't Sort them in any specific order... tells me I can't change an array.

  12. #12
    RaymundCG
    Guest

    Re: Is there an option to do a "mass change"?

    Hi again!

    One workaround that we can do is to enter the array formula to the column
    next to the data (as in my previous post). Once you get the desired results,
    select the whole range of results from the array formula then select from the
    menu Edit then Copy then Paste Special then select Value then OK. This
    effectively "freezes" the results so you can now delete the first column
    containing the original data (i.e. with the MM # format). Note also that the
    array formula also is gone; now you can sort the data.

    Additional note: make back ups of the file first before proceeding in case
    the output is not what you've expected.

    Hope this helps!
    --
    Thanks and kind regards