Copying a conditional format to several cells

  1. #1
    67 chevytruc
    Guest

    Copying a conditional format to several cells

    Ok, I have a spreadsheet that is 11,000 rows long. I create the conditional
    format on cell J2 to shade grey if cell J2 is less than cell AU2. Format
    works great, but when I use the format painter to copy it into the rest of
    the J column, it bases the value off cell AU2. I need J2 to go off AU2, J3 to
    go off AU3, J4 to go off AU4, etc. How can I do this, what is the formula,
    and please tell me I don't have to do each row seperately?

    Any help would be appreciated ASAP.

    Thank you

  2. #2
    tim m
    Guest

    RE: Copying a conditional format to several cells

    In the conditional format the default probably listed AU2 as =$AU$2 which is
    the absolute cell address, change that to =$AU2 when copied down it should
    advance to AU3, AU4 etc.

  3. #3
    67 chevytruc
    Guest

    RE: Copying a conditional format to several cells

    Thank you so much Tim M.

    I have been racking my brain all night trying to figure this out. Amazing
    how one symbol can mess with a formula.