general question about variables

  1. #1

    general question about variables

    I can't for the life of me get this line of code to work:

    deltaX = .01

    When I go to the immediate window I find deltaX = 0 (the immediate window of the visual basic editor)

    I can't assign a decimal value to that variable. I remember it was much easier in quick basic to do this What am I doing wrong?

    BTW the variable deltaX has been dimensioned as LONG

    The good news is that I almost have a custom function that will allow integration by the trapezoidal method.
    Last edited by integreat; 05-19-2006 at 10:40 PM.

  2. #2
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: general question about variables

    Long is an integer data type

    Maybe Currency, Single, or Double would work better?

    Single
    (single-precision floating-point) 4 bytes -3.402823E38 to -1.401298E-45 for
    negative values; 1.401298E-45 to 3.402823E38 for positive values

    Double
    (double-precision floating-point) 8 bytes -1.79769313486231E308 to
    -4.94065645841247E-324 for negative values; 4.94065645841247E-324 to
    1.79769313486232E308 for positive values

    Currency
    (scaled integer) 8 bytes -922,337,203,685,477.5808 to
    922,337,203,685,477.5807

  3. #3

    "integreat" wrote:
    > I can't for the life of me get this line of code to work:
    > deltaX = .01
    > When I go to the immediate window I find deltaX = 0
    > [....] BTW the variable deltaX has been dimensioned as LONG

    That is precisely your mistake. Type long is an integer type.
    When you assign a floating-point value to an integer type, the
    value is rounding (apparently using banker's rounding! :-<) to
    integer value. Either declare deltaX as a floating-point type,
    e.g. double, or do not declare its type at all, which some
    people consider "poor form".