Conditional formatting error

  1. #1

    Conditional formatting error

    Hi,

    To create an odd/even shaded table I want to use conditional formatting
    with the following formula: =isodd(row())

    However, this produces an immediate error "You may not use references
    to other worksheets or workbooks for Conditional Formatting criteria".

    I can put this formula in a separate cell and then use =A$5 for the
    formula in the conditional formatting dialog and it works fine, but
    putting the =isodd(row()) formula always causes this error.

    Is this a bug, or is there a real reason I can't use this formula?

    (I'm using Excel 2000, ver 9.0.7616 SP-3)

    --
    fishter

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting error

    use mod or this from Gord Dibben
    =ROW()=ODD(ROW())

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    I believe it might be a bug of the software, and that the problem is caused by the isodd() method since I was able to use the row() method in another workaround solution. It is kind of weird, but I do not have a explanation for it.

    However, there is an alternative to your problem.

    Try using

    =MOD(ROW(),2)

    to be able to format rows which are odd.

    For rows which are even, just put the not operator around the above statement like this:

    =NOT(MOD(ROW(),2))

    Cheers!

  4. #4
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Conditional formatting error

    See:

    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...8e2986e8d90071

    --
    Gary's Student

  5. #5

    Re: Conditional formatting error

    Thanks to all.

    I've gone for the MOD(ROW(),2) route as it seems easiest to me.

    --
    fishter