Sort a list with a formula

  1. #1
    Steve-in-austin
    Guest

    Sort a list with a formula

    Is there a way to sort a column with a series of formulas? ie select the
    range and return the lowest value in row 1, next value in row 2 etc. The
    range may contain blanks, which should sort to the bottom.
    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Sort a list with a formula

    you could use LARGE or SMALL but why?

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Steve-in-austin
    Guest

    Re: Sort a list with a formula

    I am attempting to automate a forecasting model as much as possible without
    the need for users to presort their phase numbering There may be multiple
    occurances of the same sort character(s) so SMALL will not work without some
    additional logic. For example, the list:
    should sort to

  4. #4
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Sort a list with a formula

    try
    =SMALL($G$1:$G$4,ROW())

  5. #5
    Steve-in-austin
    Guest

    Re: Sort a list with a formula

    This works well if the data begins in row 1. Is there a way to compensate for
    data that does not start in row 1?

  6. #6
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Sort a list with a formula

    try
    =SMALL($G$2:$G$5,ROW(A1))

  7. #7
    Steve-in-austin
    Guest

    Re: Sort a list with a formula

    Thanks Don, that was too easy!

  8. #8
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Sort a list with a formula

    Glad to help

  9. #9
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Sort a list with a formula

    I meant to say, glad to help a fellow Austinite.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:%[email protected]...