PS Randy's solution:

From: Randy - view profile
Date: Tues, Jun 14 2005 4:55 pm
Email: "Randy" <[email protected]>
Groups: microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave I figured it out,

Open window explorer by right clicking the Start button and select
Explore.
Windows Explorer opens, now select "Tools" then on the dropdown menu
select
"Folder Options". In Folder Options , select the "File Types" tab.
Now scroll down until you see the file type of "XLS" under the column
labled
"Extensions" Click on "XLS" to select it.
Next click on the Advanced button and then under "Actions" Click on
"Open"
The Confirm open after download should be checked and the other two....

1. Always show extension
2. Browse same window

Should not be checked.

Next click "Edit"

Under Application used to perform action delete what is there (All of
it)
and copy and paste the following into this space.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE" "%1"

Make sure the box "DDE Message" is clear and the Check Box labled "Use
DDE" is checked.
You are done, click OK, Ok and Close. Now when you click on XLS files
each
will open in it own window. (Hopefully)

--
Randy