Trying to set up a cross reference chart, best way to copy formulas?

  1. #1

    Trying to set up a cross reference chart, best way to copy formulas?

    My source data looks like this:
    On the <i>Changes</i> sheet I have information in Columns C through H.
    C and D contain the two objects to cross reference in the chart (think
    of a mileage chart, such as this one
    http://www.hm-usa.com/distance/usa.html ).
    Column E Contains the current value, F the minimum value, G the Max
    value, and H the mean value.

    Data starts in row 2.

    I want to reference the data in a chart on a new sheet

    A B C D
    1 Min(1) Current(1) Min(3) Current(3)
    2 Max(1) Average(1) Max(3) Average(3)
    3 Min(2) Current(2) Min(4) Current(4)
    4 Max(2) Average(2) Max(4) Average(4)

    Where:
    Min1 refers to Cell $F2
    Min2 refers to Cell $F3

    Max1 refers to $G2
    Max2 refers to $G3

    etc...

    The chart will be rather large (I've got several hundred data points).
    However, I can't drag the formula, because if I type int he formulas
    for A1:B2 (The full data set for my frist cross reference) and drag it
    down to A3:B4 it will have Min2 refer to cell F4, rather than F3.
    Likewise, if I drag it across to C1:D2, it will have Min3 refer to F2,
    rather than F4.

    Any way to easily copy a formula like this, or am i stuck handcoding?

  2. #2

    Re: Trying to set up a cross reference chart, best way to copy formulas?

    Or better yet, is there a way to combine Hlookup and Vlookup to build
    my cross reference chart?

    So that if my 2 objects are in A2 and B1 cell b2 could lookup A2 and B1
    and match it to values in columns c and d of my other sheet?

  3. #3
    Miguel Zapico
    Guest

    Re: Trying to set up a cross reference chart, best way to copy for

    There are some examples of INDEX and MATCH here:
    It looks like they can be applied to your case.

    Hope this helps,
    Miguel.