Solution with SumProduct?

  1. #1

    Solution with SumProduct?

    Novice here,

    I need to have an output of more than just a find/sum of two columns. If the below were on columns A,B and C

    name--activity--hours
    bob--change--5
    bob--change--4
    bob--app --4
    john--app--3
    john--app--5
    john--change--2
    bill--hardware--3
    bill--hardware--1
    bill--app--2
    bill--app--4

    What I would like to do is output how many hours of the app, change and/or hardware activity did john do but not just in the numerical sense.

    Looking for John--App--8 then on the next row John--change--2 but I do not want to display a John--Hardware--0 as I do not care about 0 hours for a certain activity. I have used SumProduct to get the hourly total but I cannot find an easy way to output this with name and activity especially when the data will be wiped and renewed weekly!

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Solution with SumProduct?

    Why not build a table on another sheet with say Change in B1, App in C1,
    etc., Bob in A2, Bill in A3, etc. then in B2 add

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$200=$A2),--(Sheet1!$B$2:$B$200=B$1),Sheet1!$C$
    2:$C$200)

    copy down and across, and just suppress zeroes (Tools>Options>General,
    uncheck zero values checkbox)

    Bob Phillips

    "boobot" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Miguel Zapico
    Guest

    RE: Solution with SumProduct?

    If you have weekly updates, I would recommend to use a pivot table in this
    case. If you use a dynamic named range as the origin, it will react to the
    changes in the data with just refreshing the table each week.

    Hope this helps,
    Miguel.